Reference Materials for Chemistry
Find dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks, and other reference materials
- Chemistry : Foundations and Applications [SCI-REF QD4 .C48 2004 vols. 1-4]
Designed for high school and beginning undergraduate students as well as popular readers, these well-organized, thoughtfully written volumes provide accessible entries on the people and processes of chemistry. Each entry includes cross referencing of names and terms, a list of bibliography and internet sources. Definitions of terms within each entry are provided in the margins, as are (less frequently) boxes with additional information and illustrations. For chemicals, elements, and their properties entries provide the history of discovery as well as description of its properties and uses. For elements the melting point, boiling point, density, and most common ions are listed. Many biographies are included among the entries, with care to include women chemists and physicists, as are concepts and applications that are found in everyday life. Among the latter are entries on global warming, food irradiation, gardening, glass, recycling, water quality, and various applications in medicine. Each volume includes a glossary and an index. Annotation #169;2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com) Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is a ready-reference book of chemical and physical data. The print copy of CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is the premier source not only of physical properties data but also of mathematical tables, sources of critical data, chemical nomenclature, symbols, and terminology. It has been published since 1913; and is updated and enhanced annually.
Unlimited simultaneous users.
- Dictionary of chemistry, A "A Dictionary of Chemistry covers all the commonly encountered terms in chemistry, including physical chemistry and biochemistry. Clear and concise coverage of laboratory techniques, chemical engineering, and environmental matters, plus entries on such topics as buckminsterfullerene, fullerite, quasicrystal, oscillating reaction, and one-pot synthesis."
5 simultaneous users.
- Dictionary of Organic Compounds [SCI-REF QD246 .D5 1982 vols. 1-5]
The Formula Index and Name Index are separate volumes.
- Dictionary of Organometallic Compounds [SCI-REF QD411 .D53 1984 vols. 1-3]
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Polymers Dealing with polymer terminology, this book contains more than 7,500 polymeric material terms, including the names of chemicals, processes, formulae, and analytical methods that are used frequently in the polymer and engineering fields. It also includes an appendix of biochemical and microbiological terms.
- Hutchinson Trends in Science: Chemistry
Overview of the development of chemistry in the 20th century.
- Lange's Handbook of Chemistry
see also [SCI-REF QD65 .H25 2005]
Revered as the standard reference for chemists for more than 60 years, this new edition of Lange's brings chemistry professionals, students, and anyone interested in science an enormous compilation of facts, data, tabular material, and experimental findings in every area of chemistry. Included in this massive compendium are listings of the properties of approximately 4,000 organic and 1,400 inorganic compounds. The 15th Edition includes new material on separation methods and analytical chemistry; statistical methods; polymers; rubbers, fats, oils, and waxes; new inorganic compounds; IUPAC nomenclature of organic compounds; updated lists of physical and chemical symbols; definitions and abbreviations; new tables, charts, and illustrations; with SI units used throughout (conversion tables supplied). The American Technical Technologists' Events magaine said of the last edition of this book, "Bargains are rare in the publication arena but this book represents one ... it is just overflowing with useful information that is available at your beck and call." Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.
- Merck Index
see also [multiple print locations RS51 .M4 2013]
For over 120 years The Merck Index has been regarded as the most authoritative and reliable source of information on chemicals, drugs and biologicals. Now this trusted resource is available online from the Royal Society of Chemistry.
The Merck Index* Online offers the same highly authoritative information as the print edition in a convenient and easily searchable full text database. It contains over 11,500 monographs – including historic records not available in the print edition. The Merck Index* Online will be updated regularly with accurate information curated by experts.
- MSDS plus CHEMINFO
Safety measures for handling of chemicals and hazardous substances.
"PubChem, released in 2004, provides information on the biological activities of small molecules. PubChem is organized as three linked databases within the NCBI's Entrez information retrieval system. These are PubChem Substance, PubChem Compound, and PubChem BioAssay. PubChem also provides a fast chemical structure similarity search tool. More information about using each component database may be found using the links in the homepage."
- RxTx (formerly e-CPS and e-Therapeutics+) RxTx is an easily searchable tool that includes the electronic versions of the Canadian Pharmaceutical Association’s annual Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties and the content from their Therapeutic Choices. These resources provide a thorough and centralized overview of many drugs, drug therapy and clinical tools.
4 simultaneous users.