Reference Materials for Mathematics and Statistics
Find dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks, and other reference materials
- Cambridge Dictionary of Statistics, The
"If you use statistics and need a useful, up-to-date and reliable sourcebook that provides simple definitions and explanations of statistical concepts, then you will need this dictionary. Some 3500 terms are defined in all areas of statistics, including medical, survey, theoretical, applied, etc. In addition short biographies are given of over 100 important statisticians. The majority of definitions include a reference to a book or article where the reader can seek an extended account of a term if required. Many of the definitions are accompanied by graphical material to aid understanding."--Jacket.
- Concise Encyclopedia of Statistics, The
- Concise Oxford dictionary of mathematics, The "This invaluable resource will guide general readers and students alike through the often bewildering maze of equations and theorems encountered within the mathematical universe. Covering everything in the field, from pure and applied mathematics to statistics, it also covers areas of more general interest, such as fractals, game theory, and chaos. Brief biographical sketches are provided of the great mathematicians."
5 simultaneous users.
- CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics
The CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics is a compendium of mathematical definitions, formulas, figures, tabulations, #38; references. Its informal style makes it accessible to a broad spectrum of readers with a diverse range of mathematical backgrounds #38; interests. This fascinating, useful book draws connections to other areas of mathematics #38; science as well as demonstrates its actual implementation - providing a highly readable, distinctive text diverging from the all-too-frequent specialized jargon #38; dry formal exposition. Through its thousands of explicit examples, formulas, #38; derivations, The CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics gives the reader a flavor of the subject without getting lost in minutiae - stimulating his or her thirst for additional information #38; exploration. This book serves as handbook, dictionary, #38; encyclopedia - extensively cross-linked #38; cross-referenced, not only to other related entries, but also to web sites on the Internet. Standard mathematical references, combined with a few popular ones, are also given at the end of most entries, providing a resource for more reading #38; exploration. In The CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics, the most useful #38; interesting aspects of the topic are thoroughly discussed, enhancing technical definitions. Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.
- CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae [multiple locations QA47 .M315 30th]
- Dictionary of Analysis, Calculus, and Differential Equations [HIL-REF QA5 .D53 2000]
Provides comprehensible, working definitions of mathematical expressions, for scientists engineers, mathematicians, economists, technical writers, and computer programmers. Contains some 2,500 detailed definitions written in a clear, readable style, complete with alternative meanings and related references. Includes terms associated with analysis, calculus, and differential equations, with natural overlap into differential geometry, algebraic geometry, topology, and related areas. Distributed by Syndetic Solutions, Inc.
- Dictionary of Applied Math for Engineers and Scientists
- Handbook of Mathematical Formulas and Integrals
The updated Handbook is an essential reference for researchers and students in applied mathematics, engineering, and physics. It provides quick access to important formulas, relations, and methods from algebra, trigonometric and exponential functions, combinatorics, probability, matrix theory, calculus and vector calculus, ordinary and partial differential equations, Fourier series, orthogonal polynomials, and Laplace transforms.
- Transforms and Applications Handbook, The Highlighting the use of transforms and their properties, this title offers an introduction to signals and systems, including properties of the delta function and some classical orthogonal functions. It then details different transforms, including lapped, Mellin, wavelet, and Hartley varieties.