English Language Learning: eBooks at UNB Libraries
Find grammar, reading, writing, and oral comprehension help for English language learners in these ebooks:
- A Glossary of English Grammar
- Hello-- and Now What? Strategies for Sucessful Socializing
- Odds & Ends of English Usage
- Science Research Writing for Non-Native Speakers of English
- The International Student's Guide: Studying in English at University
English Language Learning: Print Books at UNB Libraries
Find grammar, reading, writing, and oral comprehension help for English language learners in these print books. Books can be signed out at an Access Services Desk. Fredericton students can request books located at Hans W. Klohn Commons in Saint John via our document delivery service and vice versa.
- A Short Introduction to English Grammar
HIL-STACKS PE1111 .S487
- 100 Clear Grammar Tests: Reproducible Grammar Tests for Beginning to Intermediate ESL/EFL Classes
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .A2 F646 2000 or HIL-REF PE1128 .A2 F646 2000
- Coming to Canada: Authentic Readings for ESL Students
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .B8692 1997
- Effective Techniques for English Conversation Groups
HIL-STACKS PE1131 .D58
- Explorations in World Literature: Readings to Enhance Academic Skills
HIL-STACKS PN6014 .S36 1998
- ExpressWays: English for Communication
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .M674 1986 v.1-3
- Greetings! Culture and Speaking Skills for Intermediate Students of English
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .W44 1998
- Interface Canada
HWK-STACKS PE1131 .I573 2003 (8 book series with CD)
- Oral Interaction, Levels A and B: Administrator's and Teacher's Guide
HIL-GOV FP142 LA17 P964fid
- Sounds Easy! Phonics, Spelling, and Pronunciation
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .B37 2002
- Targeting Listening and Speaking: Strategies and Activities for ESL/EFL Students
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .F657 2003
- The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English
HWK-STACKS PE1112 .C528 2010
- Think, Write, Share: Process Writing for Adult ESL and Basic Education Students
HIL-STACKS PE1066 .S33 1991
- Writing English: A Composition Text in English as a Foreign Language
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .R69 1975
More English Language Reading Practice
Press Display is a great resource for practicing your reading and comprehension skills in English from newspapers and magazines across the world. You can also use this resource to access and read newspapers in your native language.
The HIL-JUV collection at Harriet Irving Library offers books written in accessible English for a younger audience that provide a great opportunity for beginner English students interested in practicing their reading and comprehension skills. See also the HIL-EASY collection for children's books.
Practice your English comprehension skills while watching films from the UNB Libraries' electronic and DVD film collections:
Search films in UNB WorldCat catalogue by title, author (i.e., director), or subject/keyword(s). Limit "Format" in the left hand column of search results to available "Video" options (eVideo, DVD, etc.).
Audio Files in UNB Libraries' Databases
Interested in improving your pronunciation and listening comprehension? A few electronic library resources provide audio files along with text files for your convenience.
Feel free to submit any file type and web content into text-to-speech software in order to hear content read aloud. See the Text-to-Speech tab in this guide for free software suggestions.
English Tests Prep
UNB Libraries' CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment) prep materials
Read this information about CAEL and find free sample tests.
- The CAEL assessment: test taker's preparation guide
HWK-STACKS PE1128 .F747 2003 and HWK-MEDIA PE1128 .F747 2003 Disc
UNB Libraries' IELTS (International English Language Testing System) prep materials
Read this information about IELTS and find free sample tests.
- IELTS Preparation and Practice: Reading and Writing
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .P425 1997
- IELTS Preparation and Practice: Reading and Writing Academic Module
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .S2355 1998
UNB Libraries' MTELP (Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency) prep materials
Read this information about MTELP and find free sample questions.
- Barron's How to Prepare for the Michigan Test Battery: Covers All 3 Tests in the Michigan Test Battery, Aural Comprehension, English Proficiency, Composition
HIL-REF PE1128 .S49 1982
- Melab Strategy: Winning Multiple Choice Strategies for the Michigan English Language Arts Battery
HIL-REFDSK PE1128 .M37 2015
UNB Libraries' TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) prep materials
Try these free sample questions from TOEFL.
- Barron's Practice Exercises for the Test of English As a Foreign Language, TOEFL
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .S524 1989
- Cracking the TOEFL
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .C67 1998 and HIL-CIRCDSK PE1128 .C67 1998 CD 1-2
- Cracking the TOEFL CBT
HIL-REFDSK PE1128 .C67 2003
- Essential Words for the TOEFL, Test of English As a Foreign Language
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .M3544 2004
- Grammar for the TOEFL Test
HIL-REF PE1128 .B69 2002
- How to Prepare for the TOEFL Test: Test of English As a Foreign Language
HIL-REF PE1128 .S5 2001
HIL-REF PE1128 .S5 2006
- Longman Complete Course for the TOEFL Test: Preparation for the Computer and Paper Tests
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .P435 2001 and HIL-CIRCDSK PE1128 .P435 2001 CD
HIL-REF PE1128 .P435 2001
HIL-STACKS PE2808 .P45 1991
- Peterson's TOEFL Success
HWK-STACKS PE1128 .R6345 1996
- Practice Exercises for the TOEFL Test: Test of English As a Foreign Language
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .S524 2003 and HIL-CIRCDSK PE1128 .S524 2003 CD 1-5
- The Best Test Preparation for the TOEFL (test of English As a Foreign Language)
HIL-REF PE1128 .F5748 1997
- TOEFL Exam Essentials
HIL-STACKS PE1128 .M747 2004
- TOEFL Reading and Writing Workout
HIL-REFDSK PE1128 .T637 2014
- Nova's Practice Tests for the TOEFL iBT
- Speaking and Writing Strategies for the TOEFL iBT
- 500 Words, Phrases, Idioms for the TOEFL iBT Plus Typing Strategies
- Longman Complete Course for the TOEFL Test: Preparation for the Computer and Paper Tests
HIL-CIRCDSK PE1128 .P435 2001 CD
General English Language Test Prep
Free Online Resources
Free internet resources for students of English as a foreign language
These resources are freely available to anyone and do not require proxy authentication.
- Academic Phrasebank from the University of Manchester
This is a great resource for academic writers with phrase suggestions for how to introduce your work, refer to sources, describe methods, report results, discuss findings, and write conclusions.
- Tests and exercises for ESL students
In this resource, you will find worksheets and exercises that will help you with English grammar, synonyms, business English, common errors in English usage, and idiomatic expressions. The materials are organized according to elementary, intermediate, and advanced levels.
- A World of ESL Resources
Find free reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, and listening materials as well as links to dictionaries.
- OEDb Open Education Database
Use this resource to find free grammar guides, pronunciation and spelling exercises, vocabulary practice and writing activities, quizzes and worksheets, podcasts and YouTube channels related to English language acquisition.
In this resource, you will find a wealth of materials for learning English vocabulary and grammar, listening and reading comprehension, business English help, and writing practice.
- Rong-Chang Li’s site
Find free listening comprehension and speaking exercises as well as reading practice materials.
- Activities for ESL students by The Internet TEST Journal
Find activities for English learners, such as quizzes, tests, exercises, and puzzles.
- Listening and oral practice – Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab
Try these listening exercises and quizzes to improve your oral comprehension.
New Brunswick Public Libraries also offer free online language learning tools to anyone with a library card. Get free access to Rosetta Stone that delivers interactive instruction in thirty different languages and more advanced lessons for a core set of languages that include English and French.
Writing & Study Skills Centre
Students of English as a foreign language at UNB can seek free help to improve all aspects of their academic writing from the UNB Writing Centres located on both the Fredericton and Saint John campuses.
Writing Centre consultants help students improve their own writing abilities through individual tutoring sessions that focus on academic assignments, including such topics as clarifying ideas, making an outline, developing a thesis statement, thinking critically, structuring an argument, and effective editing. The goal is to help students improve the clarity of their own thought and expression.
STU students can seek help from the STU Writing Centre.
UNB Fredericton Drop-in Hours
In addition to day-time appointments at the C. C. Jones Building, the UNB Fredericton Writing Centre offers an evening drop-in service.
- Harriet Irving Library: Mondays to Thursdays, 6:00 to 10:00
- Engineering & Computer Science: Mondays to Thursdays, 6:00 to 10:00
International Student Services at UNB and STU
The International Student Advisor's Office offers advice and support on a wide range of topics to facilitate your transition as an international student in Fredericton.
See the International Student Services website for assistance at UNB SJ.
See the International Students website for assistance at STU.
Free Text-to-Speech Readers
Interested in improving your pronunciation and listening comprehension? Use text-to-speech software to hear text files and web content read aloud.
- NaturalReader for Windows and Mac
- NVDA screen recorder for Windows
- Text2Speech online text-to-speech converter
- Ultra Hal TTS Reader Read for Windows
Learn how to activate the text-to-speech recognition feature on your Mac here.