Organizations & Advocates
Groups Supporting and Advocating for Indigenous Business and Entrepreneurs
- Joint Economic Development Initiative (JEDI)
- JEDI is a leading Indigenous organization dedicated to working with partners to foster Indigenous economic development in New Brunswick. JEDI provides its clients with a variety of Indigenous business and workforce development services. JEDI serves Indigenous people across New Brunswick and works closely with partners in the public and private sector.
- Nujintuisga'tijig E'pijip
- Women in Business New Brunswick is proud to announce the launch of an “Indigenous Online Craft Platform”. This online platform will give an opportunity to Indigenous Artisans from New Brunswick to display their crafts for potential buyers.
- Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business (CCAB)
- The mission of CCAB is to promote, strengthen and enhance a prosperous Indigenous economy through the fostering of business relationships, opportunities and awareness for all members.
- Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
- ISC works collaboratively with partners to improve access to high-quality services for First Nations, Inuit and Métis. Their vision is to support and empower Indigenous peoples to independently deliver services and address the socio-economic conditions in their communities. They provide resources for Indigenous business development.
- Indigenous Business and Investment Council
- The Indigenous Business and Investment Council is focused on increasing Indigenous participation in the economy, promoting Indigenous businesses and entrepreneurs, and industry partnerships.
- The Council for the Advancement of Native Development Officers (CANDO)
- Cando is a national Indigenous organization involved in community economic development. They build capacity which strengthens Indigenous economies by providing programs and services to Economic Development Officers.
- Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC)
- The Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC) focuses on creating partnerships between associations, organizations, government departments and industry leaders from across Canada to support the growth of Indigenous tourism in Canada and address the demand for the development and marketing of authentic Indigenous experiences.
- The National Aboriginal Capital Corporations Association (NACCA)
- The NACCA is a network of over 50 Aboriginal Financial Institutions (AFIs) dedicated to stimulating economic growth for all Indigenous people in Canada.
- Canadian Centre for Aboriginal Entrepreneurship (CCAE)
- CCAE provides project management, entrepreneurship training, speaking and writing services, and consulting to government and Aboriginal businesses, organizations and individuals.
- Aboriginal Canadian Entrepreneurs (ACE)
- The Aboriginal Canadian Entrepreneurs (ACE) Program focuses on providing you with the tools you need to turn your interests, skills and passion into a viable business to benefit you, your family and your community.
- Centre for Indigenous Innovation and Technology
- A not-for-profit organization focused on addressing the underrepresentation of Indigenous peoples in the technology and innovation sectors in Canada.
Starting a Business
Resources for Starting a Business
- JEDI Indigenous Entrepreneur Support Package
- FedDev Ontario – Small Business Services – Indigenous Entrepreneur Guide to Starting a Business
- Native Women's Association of Canada – The Aboriginal Entrepreneurship Toolkit
- Government of Ontario – Indigenous business development toolkit
- Startup Canada Resources for Indigenous Entrepreneurs
- The National Aboriginal Capital Corporations Association – Become an Entrepreneur
- Futurpreneur Canada – Ready to Start Your Business?
- Indigenous Business and Investment Council – Resource Directory
Programs and Competitions
- Native Women's Association of Canada – #BeTheDrum – NWAC'S Entrepreneurship Outreach Navigation Program
- Pow Wow Pitch
- National Indigenous Women Entrepreneurs Ecosystem (NIWEE)
- Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business Membership Directory
- Indigenous Services Canada – Detailed company search – Indigenous Business Directory
- Register for the Indigenous Business Directory here.
- #BeTheDrum Indigenous Women's Business Directory
Accelerators & Incubators
Accelerators and Incubators
- Indigenext blends the established processes of business acceleration with the Indigenous entrepreneurial skill-set, a unique relationship of land and community. They are focused on businesses that create technology leadership, not technology catch-up.
- Joint Economic Development Initiative (JEDI)
- Indigenous Digital Accelerator
- Launching in 2020, the Indigenous Digital Accelerator (IDA) at Capilano University will help scale up early stage Indigenous companies in Western Canada with high growth, commercialization and innovation potential.
- First Peoples Enterprise Accelerator Program
- The vision of the First Peoples Enterprise Accelerator Program is a decolonized economy created for and by Indigenous people alongside deep and meaningful partnerships.
- Canadian Export Challenge – Scaling Indigenous Businesses Globally
- This was a virtual accelerator event hosted on August 11, 2020. The recording is available here.
- Kwe-Biz provides Indigenous-led online and in-person business training and mentorship for Indigenous women entrepreneurs. Whether you are in the startup phase or have an existing business you would like to grow, Kwe-Biz provides ongoing support through unique programming.
- Women in Business New Brunswick
- Women in Business New Brunswick hosts monthly virtual gatherings called WBNB’s Online Mawiomi, as well as offers workshops/ training for Indigenous women entrepreneurs. For a list of current events, please check here.
- Indigenous Fashion Support Program
- The Indigenous Fashion Support (IFS) Program is a virtual incubation program that supports Indigenous entrepreneurs to experience the journey of building or scaling a business in the fashion industry. With a focus on fashion, product and technology, the program enables participants to sharpen their entrepreneurial skills while developing real-life solutions.
- Canada Revenue Agency – Aboriginal peoples
- BDC – Indigenous Entrepreneurs
- The National Aboriginal Capital Corporations Association – Aboriginal Financial Institutions
- Aboriginal Entrepreneurship Program – Access to Capital
- Ulnooweg Development Group
- Indigenous Women Entrepreneurship Fund
- Raven Capital Partners
- The mission of Raven Capital Partners is to empower Indigenous entrepreneurs with the capital and expertise they need to succeed.
- Aboriginal Business Grants from the Federal Government
- Government of Canada – Export funding for Indigenous businesses
- Dream Maker Ventures – Diversity Fund
Reports & Statistics
- Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business – Publications
- National Aboriginal Capital Corporations – Report on Indigenous Women Entrepreneurship in Canada, July 2020
- Government of Canada – Indigenous-Owned Exporting Small and Medium Enterprises in Canada
Data and Statistics
- Statistics Canada – Indigenous peoples
- OECD – Profile of Indigenous Canada: Trends and data needs