Overview / News
Welcome to UNB Libraries' (Saint John) guide to Nursing and Health Sciences. The purpose of this guide is to help you find resources related to this discipline and enhance your learning. If you are taking a Nursing and Health Sciences course at UNB Saint John, you may find you also have a specific course guide available.
How you want to begin your research depends on your topic and your knowledge. If your topic is brand new to you, you might want to start with book based material. The data and information in books, at least, in non-fiction, academic books, generally differs from that found in articles. It is presented at length but tends to be presented in less depth and with less specificity. Book content may be less "cutting edge" and more likely to present standard, and accepted information. Journal articles often present more controversial content and preliminary research results which require more testing before they are accepted.
For students, books are a logical starting point for research because they often introduce several relevant topics around a broader subject while articles often deal with a single, very specific topic with an assumed context -- that is, articles may assume an audience with a high level of subject knowledge.
Once you have some background on your topic which may help you think critically about related information and data, you will be ready to plunge into journal articles, grey literature, and beyond. Enjoy the search!
In this guide, you will find links leading you to reference materials (dictionaries, specialized encyclopedias, handbooks ...), books (both online and in print), databases (containing full-text journals, full-text articles, and linked material), and more. That said, not everything you will need will be here. Remember, you can always visit a library and ask a librarian for more help.
In addition to this subject guide in Nursing and Health Sciences, you might also wish to explore:
News and Views
Health News, CTV News
Health News, Global News
Health, BBC News
Public Health News and Research Developments, Johns Hopkins
News in Health, NIH
Reference / Statistics
MedlinePlus, public access
All Databases, National Center for Biotechnology Information, NLM, selected public access
Nursing Central, licensed resource, UNBSJ on-campus access. Includes: Davis's Drug Guide; Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests; Diseases and Disorders; Nurse's Pocket Guide; and Taber's Medical Dictionary
Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary, MedlinePlus, public access
A.D.A.M. Health Illustrated Encyclopedia, adam.com and MedlinePlus Health Information, National Library of Medicine, public access
Adult and Children's Health Encyclopedia, University of Rochester Medical Center, public access
Drug Product Database, Health Canada, public access
Merck Manuals, public access
Standards and Documents: Professional Practice, Nurses' Association of New Brunswick, public access
International Affairs and Best Practice Guidelines, Registered Nurses' Association Ontario, public access
Standards and Guidelines, College of Nurses of Ontario, public access
Canadian Hospital Ratings, CBC, public access
National Guideline Clearinghouse, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, US, public access
Classification of Diseases, Functioning, and Disability, CDC, public access
Public Health Image Library, CDC, public access
Statistics, Data, Data Sets ...
Health in Canada, Statistics Canada, public access
Health, CANSIM, Statistics Canada, public access
Disease Surveillance Online, Public Health Agency of Canada, public access
Canadian Institute for Health Information, public access
Your Health System, map based, displaying 37 indicators, Canadian Institute for Health Information, public access
National Center for Health Statistics, CDC, public access
Data and Statistics by Topic, CDC, public access
Health Statistics Subject Guide, National Library of Medicine, public access
Health and Social Care, Office of National Statistics, UK, public access
Health, Australian Bureau of Statistics, public access
Health Statistics, OECD, public access
OECD Health Statistics, OECD health database, public access
International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, WHO, public access
Books, Studies, Reports ...
UNB WorldCat searches the WorldCat database and offers up-to-date availability information for material held by UNB Libraries. WorldCat contains more than 130,000,000 bibliographic records (including books, journals, videos, music ...) referring to the holdings of libraries world wide. WorldCat also includes selected journal articles and internet resources.
Mobile users should note that although UNB Libraries has moved to a responsive web design, mobile interfaces and apps may NOT yet provide all the functionality of other types of web-based access.
Please note: While many of the following items allow unlimited simultaneous users, in some cases, the item may allow only a single user at any given time.
Members of the UNB/STU community of users may also use UNB WorldCat, to access individual electronic book / book-length titles such as:
As well, the University community may access several collections of electronic books including:
Some internet sites offer full-text, public access books and book-length works either as collections or as individual linked titles. Examples of such sites of interest to nursing and health sciences include:
Publications by Title, Canadian Insitute for Health Information
Reports, (archived) Health Council of Canada
Health and Medicine, National Academies Press
CDC Stacks, public health publications
Bookshelf, NCBI, NLM
Reports: Health and Medicine Division, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine
State Nursing Work Force Reports, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
Social Issues / Migration / Health Publications, OECD, mix of previews and full content
WHO IRIS, WHO Institutional Repository for Information Sharing, using the advanced search, limit to "Items with full text online" for public access materials
Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health, Institute of Medicine, 2011
Article / Research Databases
For those interested in nursing and health sciences, there are both licensed bibliographic databases, listed in Key and Additional Resources below, as well as major public access databases such as PubMed, a US government database.
These databases will be especially useful when you are beginning a research project and looking for information on a topic.
For other licensed databases, please see the Article Databases page.
- CINAHL with Full Text (Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature) CINAHL with Full Text is the world's most comprehensive source of full text for nursing & allied health journals, providing full text for more than 500 journals indexed in CINAHL. This authoritative file contains full text for many of the most used journals in the CINAHL index - with no embargo. With full-text coverage dating back to 1981, CINAHL with Full Text is the definitive research tool for all areas of nursing and allied health literature.
Unlimited simultaneous users
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source ProQuest Nursing and Allied Health Source is a collection of core nursing and related publications, this database, designed to meet the needs of researchers at health-care facilities as well as students enrolled in nursing programs at academic institutions. All the source publications are available in the ASCII full-text format. Nearly all of them also offer articles in the full-image and Text+Graphics formats.
NOTE: In certain instances ProQuest has decided to omit particular 'articles' from full-text access due to copyright restrictions or because the item has not met their criteria for being an 'article' (ie. too short, a letter, not attributed to an author, etc.).
Unlimited simultaneous users.
- PubMed PubMed is the U.S. National Library of Medicine's (NLM®) database of biomedical citations and abstracts. It includes MEDLINE, which covers over 4,800 journals published in the United States and more than 70 other countries primarily from 1966 to the present.
Unlimited simultaneous users.
- UpToDate UpToDate is a website and app-based tool that provides quick access to information about diagnosis, clinical practice, and point of care information. UpToDate draws reliable information from many clinical sources and presents it in an easy to read format that supports learning and practice in medical fields.
Unlimited simultaneous users.
- Joanna Briggs Institute EBP Database The Joanna Briggs Institute EBP Database allows you to search simultaneously, a wide range of summarized and appraised health care evidence, including over 3,300 records across seven publication types: Evidence Based Recommended Practices, Evidence Summaries, Best Practice Information Sheets, Systematic Reviews, Consumer Information Sheets, Systematic Review Protocols, and Technical Reports. Covered subjects: Nursing care, medical care.
Unlimited simultaneous users.
- Cochrane Library (Wiley) The Cochrane Library contains high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. This database includes the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, the Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects, the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials, the Cochrane Database of Methodology Reviews, the The Cochrane Methodology Register, the Health Technology Assessment Database, and the NHS Economic Evaluation Database.
Access to the Cochrane Library in New Brunswick is through a province-wide license made possible by a partnership between UNB, the New Brunswick Public Library Service and the eight Regional Hospital Authority libraries.
Unlimited simultaneous users.
- Health and Psychosocial Instruments (HaPI : EBSCO) Health and Psychosocial Instruments is a bibliographic database with abstracts produced by Behavioral Measurement Database Services (BMDS). It is used to find citations to and information about information-gathering tools for clinicians, such as questionnaires, interview schedules, tests, checklists, rating and other scales, coding schemes, and projective techniques. Over 2/3 of the tools are in medical and nursing areas such pain measurement, quality of life assessment, and drug efficacy evaluation. The database contains citations to actual test documents that copyright holders authorize BMDS to make available; bibliographic citations to journal articles which contain information about specific test instruments; and a catalog of commercial test publishers and their available instruments.
5 simultaneous users.
- HealthStar Ovid HealthStar is a subset of the National Library of Medicine's (NLM) MEDLINE database. It contains citations to the published literature on health services, technology, administration, and research. HealthStar focuses on both the clinical and non-clinical aspects of health care delivery. The following topics are included: evaluation of patient outcomes; effectiveness of procedures, programs, products, services and processes; administration and planning of health facilities, services and manpower; health insurance; health policy; health services research; health economics and financial management; laws and regulation; personnel administration; quality assurance; licensure; and accreditation.
Unlimited simultaneous users.
- PubMed Central (Open Access) PubMed Central "is a digital archive of life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), developed and managed by NIH's National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) in the National Library of Medicine (NLM)."
Some titles in the collection offer only partial Open Access.
Unlimited simulataneous users.
Other bibliographic databases for health, nursing and related fields include:
PubMed, public access
PubMed for handhelds, public access
PubMedCentral, searchable full-text periodical collection, public access
PubMedCentral Canada, public access
Europe PubMedCentral, public access
Knowledge Network Scotland, National Health Service, public access
Journal of Medical Case Reports [Cases Database], BioMed Central, public access
OTSeeker, Occupational Therapy Systematic Evaluation of Evidence, public access
There is also a wide variety of individual periodical titles available (some licensed, some public access) including:
Serial Publications from Health Canada, alphabetical by title, some electronic, some paper
American Journal of Nursing, licensed resource
BMC Nursing, public access
Californian Journal of Health Promotion, public access
Canadian Journal of Nursing Research, licensed resource
Clinical Nursing Studies, public access
Evidence Based Nursing, licensed resource
Geriatric Nursing, licensed resource
Health Reports, Health Analysis Division of Statistics Canada, public access
International Nursing Review, licensed resource
Journal of Advanced Nursing, licensed resource
Journal of Family Nursing, licensed resource
Nursing Ethics, licensed resource
Nursing Research, licensed resource
Nursing Research and Practice, public access
Online Journal of Nursing Informatics, public access
Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, public access
PLoS Medicine, public access
Internet / Multimedia
Patient Decision Aids, Ottawa Health Research Institute
MedlinePlus Health Information, National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health
All Databases, National Center for Biotechnology Information, NLM
Innovations Exchange, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, US
Nurses and Nursing, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Discover Nursing, Campaign for Nursing, Johnson & Johnson
Health Canada Youtube, public access
Public Health Agency of Canada Youtube, public access
Skills Videos, University of Manitoba, public access
Online Courses, Best Practice Guidelines, Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, most public access
HEAL, "digital materials for health sciences education," University of Utah, public access
CDC-TV, public access
CDC StreamingHealth, public access, via YouTube
Videos and Tools, MedlinePlus, public access
Video & Multimedia, National Institute of Nursing Research, public access
Videos in Clinical Medicine, NEJM, public access
Podcasts, CDC, public access
Medical Gross Anatomy Dissection Videos, University of Michigan Medical School, public access
Reproductive Health Video Library, WHO, public access
Films on Demand, look for the subject Health and Medicine, licensed resource
Citing / Writing
Citations are a natural by-product of a good literature or bibliographic search -- they come from the results your search produces. They may be found, collectively, in bibliographic databases and citation indexes. They may be derived from statistical databases and other data collections. They may make reference to individual books, periodicals (journals, magazines and newspapers), working papers, and technical reports. They may be gathered from compilations such as bibliographies or appear in lists of works cited and references. Citations may also be produced in reference to material you read or heard, to images you discover, and to all kinds of electronic files which are displayed, read, played, or otherwise accessed.
To structure citations appropriately it helps to have a good guide. There are several standard guides from which you may choose. In university, choosing the "best" one will depend on the requirements of the assignment, the nature of the contents and the preferences of the individual professor. Some guides emphasize a particular discipline, some are cross-discipline and some may emphasize a particular form of material.
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, HWK-REF BF76.7 .P83 2010
APA Style Guide to Electronic References, 2012 edition, licensed resource
APA Style, American Psychological Association, public access
CIHR English Style Guide, public access
Citing Medicine: The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors and Publishers, NLM, public access
Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals, sometimes called Vancouver style, International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, public access
Abbreviations and Acronymns
NLM Catalog: Journals referenced in the NCBI Databases, National Library of Medicine, public access
Journal Title Abbreviations, Web of Science, public access
Citation Management Software
Zotero, public access
Data Management / Curation
Framework for Creating a Data Management Plan, ICPSR, University of Michigan
Create and Manage Data, UK Data Archive
Data Management Plans, Digital Curation Centre, UK
Data Management Checklist, Digital Curation Centre, UK